Maine Flood Safety
When seasonal flooding occurs in Maine, we usually have some advance notice and the National Weather Service issues flood watches and warnings. It gives us time to prepare and, if necessary, evacuate an affected area.
Flash floods, however, are quite a bit different; they can happen whenever we get too much rain in a small period of time, at any point during a year. Warnings are issued, but there may be little or no advance notice and flood waters can rapidly move into an area.
- A car or small truck will float in as little as two feet of water. If your vehicle begins to float, you lose control over the vehicle. If your vehicle stalls in a flooded roadway, abandon it immediately and seek higher ground. The water may sweep the vehicle and its occupants away.
- Nearly half of all flash flood fatalities are vehicle related.
Flood Fatalities in Maine
- In 1996, heavy rain caused serious flooding in New Hampshire and western Maine. A Scarborough, Maine man drowned when he drove his car into a flooded roadway where the road had washed away.
- In 2004, a man died in Gardiner when attempting to kayak in a swollen stream. Rushing flood water may look exciting to the amateur canoeist or boater, but it has incredible power and may be carrying hidden debris.
- In 2007, a woman and her little granddaughter in Limerick were swept away when they tried to walk through flood water.
- In 2012, a Milo man was killed when he drove into a washed-out section of road.
- Never drive a car into a flooded roadway as the road underneath may be washed out.
- Stay clear of streams during heavy rainfall events. Swiftly moving water is extremely powerful and can easily overpower a person.
- Do not attempt recreational boating in flood water. The current can be powerful and there may be heavy debris swept along in the water, making it extremely dangerous.
- Keep children and pets inside and away from flooded streets, culverts, and streams.
- Report flooding to the appropriate authorities.
- Obey road blocks and barriers, even if the flooding has receded. Flood waters may have undercut the road surface or left dangerous debris in the roadway.
- If you live in a flood prone area, have a plan in case the water starts rising quickly.
- Know your evacuation route and if advised to evacuate do so immediately.
Although we can't stop the flood waters, we can certainly help with the cleanup and restoration after the waters have receded. When in need, contact SERVPRO of Augusta/Waterville at (207)622-7166; we're always here to help!
WATER DAMAGE IN REMOTE AREAS - NO PROBLEM!
This carpet is saturated. Due to our quick response, we were able to dry and save the carpet.
Water damage can happen anytime, even when you least expect it. This beautiful Maine home experienced water damage on a gorgeous 70 degree sunny day. The homeowner was taking advantage of a warm, Spring day to clean the outside of his house. Unbeknownst to him, his water pipe had sprung a leak over the winter and when he charged the pipe with water to run the hose, it sent water throughout his basement. After some time running the hose, he found his basement totally covered with water.
He made several calls and, fortunately, one was to SERVPRO of Augusta/Waterville. We were the only service provider that would travel to his remote location and we were on site within a short time to begin the cleanup process.
If water damage affects your home or business, please don't hesitate to call SERVPRO of Augusta/Waterville at 622-7166, regardless of what town you are in. We are always here to help!
The Unseen Water Hiding in Your Home
This wood flooring looks dry on the surface but the meter detects moisture hidden below.
You have been away for ten days on vacation, you arrive home at 9pm on a Sunday night and what do you want do? Probably get home, relax, and call it a night. But when you walk in and a pipe has burst or a toilet has leaked while you were gone? That changes everything.
In order to save money, people can sometimes use their own tools to stop and dry up water damage. Unfortunately, sometimes the unseen water in your home or office can cause the greatest problems. Hidden behind walls, cabinets or under flooring can be pooled water or moisture that will cause greater health risks to your home and family later on. Here at SERVPRO® of Augusta/Waterville, we have the tools to see that hidden damage and help stop potential problems.
- Moisture Sensors – these will detect moisture in carpet, walls, and baseboards.
- Moisture Meters – these determine the level of moisture in materials. They can penetrate into the material to identify what's going on below the surface. These tools assist us to determine our plan for drying.
- Thermohygrometers – these devices help monitor the temperature and relative humidity in the air. Temperature and humidity play a large role in the drying process and help the SERVPRO® professionals determine how to adjust the process along the way.
- Infrared Cameras – this helps identify the areas that have hidden moisture and document its location. These cameras identify temperature differences in materials from where the areas are cooling (water has been evaporating) and where it is still affected by the moisture.
Our goal is to restore your property “Like it never even happened.” When in doubt, call SERVPRO® of Augusta/Waterville.
Central Maine Smoke and Soot Cleanup
Smoke and soot is very invasive and can penetrate various cavities within your home, causing hidden damage and odor. Our smoke damage expertise and experience allows us to inspect and accurately assess the extent of the damage to develop a comprehensive plan of action.
Smoke and Soot Facts
- Hot smoke migrates to cooler areas and upper levels of a structure.
- Smoke flows around plumbing systems, seeping through the holes used by pipes to go from floor to floor.
- The type of smoke may greatly affect the restoration process.
Different Types of Smoke
There are two different types of smoke–wet and dry. As a result, there are different types of soot residue after a fire. Before restoration begins, SERVPRO of Augusta/Waterville will test the soot to determine which type of smoke damage occurred. The cleaning procedures will then be based on the information identified during pretesting. Here is some additional information:
Wet Smoke – Plastic and Rubber
- Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary. Smoke webs are more difficult to clean.
Dry Smoke – Paper and Wood
- Fast burning, high temperatures, heat rises therefore smoke rises.
Protein Fire Residue – Produced by evaporation of material rather than from a fire
- Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor.
Our Fire Damage Restoration Services
Since each smoke and fire damage situation is a little different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions. We have the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire and smoke damage. We will also treat your family with empathy and respect and your property with care.
Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage?
Call Us Today – 207-622-7166
Central Maine Residents: Follow These Safety Tips if You Suspect Mold
If you see visible mold, do not disturb it. You can inadvertently spread the mold infestation throughout your home. When mold is disturbed, the mold can release microscopic mold spores which become airborne and can circulate inside your home.
What to Do:
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Turn off the HVAC system and fans.
- Contact SERVPRO of Augusta/Waterville for mold remediation services.
What Not to Do:
- Don’t touch or disturb the mold.
- Don’t blow air across any surfaces with visible or suspected mold growth.
- Don’t attempt to dry the area yourself.
- Don’t spray bleach or other disinfectants on the mold.
About Our Mold Remediation Services
SERVPRO of Augusta/Waterville specializes in mold cleanup and restoration, in fact, it’s a cornerstone of our business. Our crews are highly trained restoration professionals that use specialized equipment and techniques to properly remediate your mold problem quickly and safely.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – 207-622-7166
Conditions in Central Maine Might Be Right For Mold
It’s estimated that more than 1 million types of mold exist, yet less than 10 percent have actually been named. This means mold is very common in both indoor and outdoor environments. While mold and humans can sometimes co-exist without issue, there are certain species of mold that can cause health effects for some people.
If the right conditions exist, mold will grow. Those conditions include:
- Water - Different mold types require varying amounts of liquid before growth begins.
- Temperature - Normal indoor temperatures will promote mold growth.
- Time - Initial mold colonizers can take hold within one day after being exposed to an adequate water supply.
Mold growth can occur in any home, so it’s important to keep an eye out for situations that might promote mold activity. Roof/chimney leaks, wet basements, snow brought inside your heated garage from your vehicle, or condensation from ducts that dampen surrounding insulation are just a few examples of issues that make a house a prime target for mold growth.
If you suspect mold in your home, call SERVPRO of Augusta/Waterville to assess the situation. We have the knowledge, tools and track record to effectively remediate mold in your home or business.
If you suspect mold, call us today at 207-622-7166
What to Do:
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Turn off the HVAC system and fans.
- Contact SERVPRO of Augusta/Waterville for mold remediation services.
When Storms Hit Central Maine, SERVPRO Is Ready!
SERVPRO of Augusta/Waterville specializes in storm and flood damage restoration. Our crews are highly trained and we use specialized equipment to restore your property to its pre-storm condition.
Since we are locally owned and operated, we are able to respond quicker with the right resources, which is extremely important. A fast response lessens the damage, limits further damage, and reduces the restoration cost.
Resources to Handle Floods and Storms
When storms hit Central Maine, we can scale our resources to handle a large storm or flooding disaster. We can access equipment and personnel from a network of 1,650 Franchises across the country and elite Disaster Recovery Teams http://www.SERVPROaugustawaterville.com/disaster-recovery that are strategically located throughout the United States.
Have Storm or Flood Damage? Call Us Today - 207-622-7166
Restoring Your Commercial Property After a Water Damage Event
Flooding and water damage events at Central Maine commercial properties are often complex with numerous issues that require a knowledgeable and flexible response. Whether we’re dealing with a relatively small water cleanup scenario or a large scale event, we work quickly to assess each unique situation and isolate the damaged area. In many instances, normal operations can continue in a temporary space while we restore your facility.
Restoring Commercial Properties Presents Unique Challenges
Our professionals are trained to be mindful of legal and environmental concerns and strive to fully restore the damaged area while working within your budgetary constraints. We understand that every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. So when an emergency situation arises in your business, give us a call and we’ll be there fast with the help you need.
About SERVPRO of Augusta/Waterville
SERVPRO of Augusta/Waterville specializes in the cleanup and restoration of commercial and residential property after a water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
What Happens When Water Decides to Invade Your Home or Business
Flooding and water emergencies don't wait for regular business hours and neither do we. SERVPRO of Augusta/Waterville provides emergency cleaning and restoration services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week - including all holidays.
- Water quickly spreads throughout your property, saturating everything in its path.
- Water is absorbed into walls, floors, upholstery, and belongings.
- Furniture finishes may bleed, causing permanent staining on carpets.
- Photographs, books, and other paper goods start to swell and warp.
Hours 1 - 24:
- Drywall begins to swell and break down.
- Metal surfaces begin to tarnish.
- Furniture begins to swell and crack.
- Dyes and inks from cloth and paper goods spread and stain.
- A musty odor appears.
48 Hours to 1 Week:
- Mold and mildew may grow and spread.
- Doors, windows, and studs swell and warp.
- Metal begins to rust and corrode.
- Furniture warps and shows signs of mold.
- Paint begins to blister.
- Wood flooring swells and warps.
- Serious biohazard contamination is possible.
More Than 1 Week:
- Restoration time and cost increase dramatically; replacing contaminated materials and structural rebuilding may be extensive.
- Structural safety, mold growth, and biohazard contaminants pose serious risks to occupants.
Call us before water decides to set up permanent residence in your home or business. SERVPRO of Augusta/Waterville is ready to help with any size disaster. We specialize in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO's corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
Central Maine residents: We Specialize in Flooded Basement Cleanup and Restoration
A basement can flood at any time, although flooding most often occurs during heavy rainfall. Basements are inherently prone to flooding because they are the lowest level of a building and are normally built partly or entirely below ground level. There are a number of reasons why your basement could flood, including:
- A blocked or failed sewer lateral pipe
- Heavy rain causes surface water to pool around your home
- Storm sewer backup
- Sanitary sewer backup
- Foundation drainage failure
- Water supply-line break or hot-water tank failure
- And many more
Have Questions About Basement Flooding?
Call Today - 207-622-7166
If flood water is not handled quickly and properly, it can jeopardize your health and safety, and cause severe damage to your home’s structure. Remember, the longer you wait, the worse the problem will get.
The bottom line: a flooded basement can jeopardize your health, safety, and your home’s integrity. It’s worth making a call to SERVPRO of Augusta/Waterville and let our trained, professional crews handle the situation safely and correctly. We have earned the trust of thousands of Central Maine homeowners, business owners, and property professionals.
We are Flooded Basement Specialists:
- We are Available 24 hours/7 days per week
- We’re a Preferred Vendor to many National Insurance Companies
- We Bill The Insurance Directly – One Less Thing For You To Worry About
- Our Technicians are Highly-Trained in Water Restoration Techniques
- We use s500 IICRC Restoration Standards
- Advanced Inspection and Extraction Equipment
Basement Flooded? Call Us Today - We're Ready to Help! 207-622-7166